Thursday, February 5, 2015

A Long Trip Ahead


My departure details have finally arrived, along with information about the first part of my journey to Malawi, the "warm heart of Africa". I will be leaving the beginning of March 2015 and returning April 2017 to work in the Health sector of the Peace Corps. My projects will focus around malaria prevention, HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention, and improving the general health of people in Malawi.

March 2nd - Seattle, WA to Philadelphia, PA [5h3m]
March 3rd-4th - Philadelphia to New York City, NY (via bus), then New York City to Johannesburg, South Africa, and finally Johannesburg to Lilongwe, Malawi. [8h10m bus and airport + 17h20m]

When I arrive I will be staying with a family in Kasungu, Malawi (a couple hours north of Lilongwe; the capitol city) for 3 months as I learn the local language, culture, and skills needed for my service with the Peace Corps. I WILL NOT HAVE INTERNET/PHONE ACCESS DURING THIS TIME. So If you'd like to communicate with me (I would love it!) send me a letter!

The follow information might be helpful to you if you decide to send me a letter (faster) or package (slower, but appreciated!). If you decide to send me something "valuable" (food/drink/etc) try to hide it inside of a less valuable package:


"Please be advised that packages can often take 1-2 months, but sometimes as long as 4-6 months. Unfortunately, sending packages can be a frustrating experience for all involved due to the high incidence of theft and heavy customs taxes. Be advised that most items with a declared value of more than $20 will be opened and may be charged for duty. You may want to try sending inexpensive items through the mail, though there is no guarantee that these items will arrive. We do not recommend sending costly items through the mail. It is recommended that packages be sent in padded envelopes if possible, as boxes tend to be taxed more heavily. The following address may be used during Training, but after their Swearing-In (May-ish) Volunteers typically get a Post Office box near their site:

TREVOR BIDSTRUP, PCT
PEACE CORPS/MALAWI
BOX 208
LILONGWE
MALAWI 


For lightweight, but important or time sensitive items, we recommend using an express mail service (ex. DHL). If you choose to send items through DHL, you must address the package to:

TREVOR BIDSTRUP, PCT
C/O U. S. PEACE CORPS MALAWI
AREA 4 PLOT 70
ACROSS FROM OILCOM DEPOT
LILONGWE
MALAWI

**Please include the Peace Corps/Malawi phone number: 265-1-757-157 on all express mail service mailing labels."

-Trevor


2 comments:

  1. I have been praying for all of your preparations, and will continue in prayer for your journey ahead! I am so excited for your adventure in in Malawi. It truly will be life-changing! You will instantly fall in love with the people there, and I have to admit I am extremely jealous that you will be able to spend so much time with them. I will be stalking your blog so post lots! Beyond proud of you cousin, 💜 Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you Trevor. I am anxiously waiting to read about your adventure in Malawi! Thank you for wanting to help those less fortunate.
    Way to go.

    ReplyDelete